clarifiedchaos

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bowling: skill or attitude

Bowling. We used to go a lot when we lived in San Antonio. I'm not sure why we stopped?

 

Saturday I was inspired to take my boys bowling despite their rolling eyes. I figured Nicholas was old enough and it might be a good rainy day / hot day non-electronic family activity.

 

So we get there. I go first and I knock down eight pins. I'm satisfied. A strike would be better but I could live with eight. Nicholas bowls next. As expected he rolls a gutter ball. We cheer the parent cheer and he sits in my lap, still very hopeful.

 

Bobby's next. First roll, 3 pins, second 6… And I'm ready to howl. I'm ready to talk some smack. Bobby is an above-the average bowler. So this wasn't his best turn, and he did this bizarre thing that made him look like his feet were glued to the floor. I open my mouth, ready to heckle him shamelessly, but before I could…

 

"Oh daddy, you were great, you got nine." Nicholas screamed running to his daddy as if he had just saved the world. Bob hugged him, while staring at me, silently daring me to talk some crap. "Wasn't daddy great?" Nicholas asked me. "Yup." I said, hoping my head wouldn't explode.

 

At that moment, I had a revelation. In San Antonio, we did go bowling with friends a lot. However, our priorities may not have been totally focused on bowling. We ate. We chatted. We sang badly to the loud rock-and-bowl music. And tried to remember what ordered we bowled in so we wouldn't be smacked upside the head by the next in line after us.

 

Of course strikes were great but when you get right down to it, it didn't matter whether it was a spare or a gutter ball, it was all in the attitude.

 

Right or wrong, I have a very "do what I say, not what I do" parenting philosophy. I'm stressing hard science in school and when playing games its about having fun yada yada bs bs.

 

I estimate maybe I've bowled 50 games with Bobby through the years. You know how many he's won? 49. That's right. I won one. I won Saturdays first game by two freaking points. But could I do my happy-eat-my-dust-dance? No. And Bobby just ate it up. I had an eye twitch the rest of the day.

 

Of course Bobby found his rhythm and stomped my ass the second game. We also decided to use the bumper rails and Nicholas entertained himself, enjoying the later game much more.

 

Because I'm stupidly stubborn and can't stop even when I know it'd be a hell of a lot easier, we agreed that bowling may be our family thing for a while. Not only am I forced to keep my attitude positive while playing. I have to face one of my most puzzling mysteries, when I bowl I use a bowling rail. Simple concept, place ball on rail, aim rail, shove ball off. Hypothetically, I'm thinking, it might take three rolls to find the "sweet spot", than you should rolls strikes from then on. The variables are far less then a normal bowler… Reality, not so easy, and that's driving me crazy.

 

So I guess the days of smack bowling are over… At least until I can teach Nicholas the fine line between trash talk and obnoxiousness. I know… I know…  but what's that saying, those who can't teach…I was thinking, to keep games interesting, Bobby & I ought to play for stuff.

 

I issue a challenge to my husband. Museum or Toy Tank day. Best 4 outa 7 games. Bring it on. I slap your face with a white glove. Saturday high noon. Be there. If your not, you forfeit :p

 

Do I really wanna play seven games? Naw but he's got skill, but I got the attitude and stamina   

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always admired the style of Fred Flinstone. You sound like you had fun, but bowling always frustrates me. We'll go on my next visit, butI get to use the ramp!!!

7/4/06 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home