clarifiedchaos

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lions. Tigers. and Allerigies

fWhen I was little I remember going to the circus and thinking one day when I grow up, I'm going to come back and buy everything my parents denied me. Popcorn, pretzels, hot dogs, cotton candy, ice cream… and that was just before intermission, food wise. I won't even go into the list of toys, gadgets, and posters I wanted.
 
Saturday we took Nicholas to the circus and it devastated me to realize I'm 50 times meaner then my mom ever was. Before we left the house I gave the lecture. No eating, no drinking, stay together, one restroom break at intermission. Got it? they stared at me like I just beat them… "oh yeah.. Have fun…" I tried to sound up beat as they marched soberly to the van.
 
First and most importantly, Nicholas had an absolute blast. And we did buy him popcorn and a drink. I'm not such a horrible mother, I just thought if I growled a lot, he'd appreciate what he got more… another theory shot to hell but… this is the boy who had 3 trips, one camp, and swim lessons this summer and is bored.
 
Anyway… the circus. It's not my favorite thing. The clowns have always kinda creep me out, like why are they always smiling? But the animals were cool and the acrobats were great… but I admit it, I'm a huge cirq-de-solis junkie so it takes a lot to impress me now. Sure you can stick your head in a lion but can you fly through the air dangling off of a red silk ribbon?
 
So we get there early because there's a preshow and an area where you can visit the animals. I knew Nicholas would just go nuts seeing the animals but I also knew I was taking a risk. Its not documented but I think I'm allergic to some bizarre combination of animal hair, dust, and hay... on a good day, nothing happens. Sometimes on so-so days, my nose will run. And 1% of the time, I'll have a asthma attack or my face will blow up and my profile makes the elephant man's nose look slim…
 
Nicholas is skipping through the animal section. Bobby's running behind. And I'm following them, trying only to breathe when I really need to because I really believe I'll be fine if I don't inhale or touch my face. Laugh at my preventive methods but it worked. I only suffered a few powerful sneezes.  
 
Our biggest complaint was it was loud. Not just loud but  incomprehensible  you know what it was like? The Peanuts character no one could understand.(I'm ignoring the irony) it was so loud Bobby and I took breaks…
 
But overall the torture was worth it.
Cost of tickets: an extremely good meal at Papaduex,
Parking, drinks, and popcorn: $30
Nicholas look of amazement: Priceless
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home