clarifiedchaos

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

the good, the bad, and the idiots

So last weekend I was invited to see the new movie Tropic Thunder the next time we had babysitters for the kids. I wasn’t completely sold on the movie because the invite came like 5 seconds after seeing an intense, dark, good, dare I say great movie. But I’m game for anything with our new click so I’m like hell yeah.

 

Imagine my astonishment the next day when I read that some disability groups are protesting Tropic Thunder. Sadly it only fueled my need to see it. Because if it causes the disability community to be up in arms, it must be offensive and it’s gonna make me laugh my ass off. Their complaint is Ben Stiller character is referred to as retarded, I think that was the gist of it.

 

No its not nice. And I admit I am very hypercritical about that stuff. Don't call my husband a ass, don't call my girls hoes, and don't call my homosexual best friend a fag, but I do, on a daily basis.

 

But come on. It’s a movie. Equal opportunity offender. If you’re sensitive, unlike myself, don't go to the movie. Because, news flash, the people who see it probably already have an opinion of the word. I prefer not to use it. And seeing the movie won’t suddenly make me want to use it.  Although I still do say “oh my god” from the 80s movie Valley Girls so…

 

There are such bigger fishes to fry. Like the “ugly” Chinese girl. did ya’ll hear about this? Now that just chaps my hide. In short ugly girl was replaced with cute girl to lip-sync to hidden ugly girl voice at the Olympics opening ceremonies.  This is offensive to ugly girls everywhere, including myself. The worse part is I wanted to see what she looked like. If she was deformed or crippled or had hideous acne or wore glasses or had bad teeth or drooled uncontrollable. (3 people are laughing. Stop. Asses. Teeheehee) but she was absolutely gorgeous!

 

Bigger fishes to fry, like idiots who park in disability parking. Ok this is usually Bobby’s pet peeve. I have so many other things to grip about. But this one guy left me speechless. We were trying to park at the mall. There was 2 crip spots and a none-crip was just parked, hanging out in one. That was the one I needed with the strips on my side so I could transfer to my chair easier. Bobby asked him to move, and at first he hesitated, pointing at the next slot, but then yelled “calm down man”. And backs out, making room for us to pull in.

 

So Bobby is cursing under his breath but I’m just relieved because I think it's over. Nope. There’s more. The guy has the nerve to repark next to us. In the other handicap spot. Bobby is absolutely livid. Like those cartoons with the smoke coming out of his cute ears. It was actually good to know other people cause him to do this, not just me. But I could tell he really really wanted to confront the guy. I’m trying to calm him down. Because A) Nicholas was with us. and B) I hated the smell of fresh blood before shopping. So he and Nicholas finally go unload my wheelchair in the back. And I realize I’m mad, and like I said, I don't usually care. But this guy seemed to be just wanting to be a pain. So as I get out of the van I try to make eye contact with this guy while looking just as pathetic as I can, legs extra twisted, left arm higher in air. He never looked at me. Bastard… the bad kind. (as opposed to the good bastards I play board games with.)

 

So what have we learn today? Calling a real girl ugly, bad. Parking in disability spaces when you don't need to, bad. Seeing a movie that might make us laugh, not so bad. Go see it and say your favorite crip sent you.

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn A. Parker said...

I was mad about the Chinese girl too!... You not ugly!... Bobby can join forces with a volunteer police group and actually have authority to give people citations for parking in a handicap spot! Love, me

13/8/08 2:41 PM  
Blogger CurrentlyVince said...

Normally, I don't get excited over a new movie with Tom Cruise in it, but I think I'll make an exception this time. Early reviews suggest he steals the show with some funny scenes. I hope you had a great time.

And it sounds like y'all had a run-in with a native of Cluelessville in that parking lot. Idiot....

14/8/08 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home