clarifiedchaos

Monday, June 27, 2005

What goes up, May not come down

Nicholas is going to Science Camp this summer. This is why I'm not going on a wild weekend with my honey, but let's stay focused on the positives.

We have been so pleased with the program. Nicholas has really enjoyed it and I think it has been a brilliant solution to the summer time slump. Ok, he's learning and is not sitting on my head. Science Camp is four weeks, 9 to 4, a different topic each week including physics, rocketry, robotics, and pirate treasure. I am amazed the projects they build everyday. A few could be passed off as middle school creations, but than again I have a Bachelor of Arts… Bottom line, they build cool stuff man. Today starts the Pirates so I'm hoping all my questions will be answered when Nicholas gets home. Pirates seems like a strange leap from physics but we'll see. As long as he doesn't come home with an eye patch saying "ay mommy," it's all good.

I'm always looking for the next great family hobby. Anything that will keep Nicholas and Bobby away from the boob tube. No, I not referring to myself, I'm not shaped like a tube. We are working on a few but can't find one that we are equally passionate about.  Nicholas and I love bicycling. Bobby would rather have a stick up his rear, it's quicker and less peddling. The boys love swimming, me, not so much. We all love games, just not the same ones. Nicholas loves Operation. Now there's a fabulous one for an uncoordinated crip. Although I was thrilled to see the nose doesn't make that obnoxious buzzing sound anymore. It just vibrates. Bobby likes these 10 hours war boardgames, no comment required, refer to my chosen degree. I like uno. With anything more then seven cards I get confused.

Last week Nicholas came home with a beautiful model rocket. Of course Bobby turned into a ten-year-old and my boys immediately decide model rockets should be our new thing. Cool. Fine.

They were very cute. They spent an entire Saturday painting and cutting and… painting… built three rockets.  We all were abuzz on the way to our launching party. 20 minutes to set everything up. The first one was awesome, all five seconds of it, shot up, parachuted down. Second one shot up… and disappeared. Third one followed the second. My boys are high-fiving each other. And I'm still staring at the sky, waiting for my 15  bucks to return to me. They searched for 15 minutes as I'm still waiting for my lost money, I mean rockets.

I guess they are worse hobbies, believe me I've vetoed a bunch. The most fascinating was suggested by Nicholas, roller blading. Has he ever taken a look at his parents? Even from 100 yards away? So I'll support this rocket hobby, yet I can't help but make comparisons… 8 long hours of prep. 2 seconds of bliss, and an hour of clean up… Hmm

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw now that just hurts..

28/6/05 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be glad the boy don't want to put live payloads in the rockets. You'd be hard pressed as to why you keep buying white mice but don't own a snake......


Love you Claire....

28/6/05 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mice eh???? cool!!!!!!!!!

28/6/05 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok even I got to say "Bobby James"!!!!!

leave the little critters alone!

28/6/05 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just gotta say....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

28/6/05 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

squek squeeeeekkk!!!

hahhahahahahahahaha

28/6/05 8:20 AM  
Blogger clarified said...

stop!

28/6/05 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3..2..1..ssqquueeeeekkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....pop...eeeeeeekk chute fail...

taps...

hahahhaha

28/6/05 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know with the Nick studing pirates might be time to get the pirates game again.......

28/6/05 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home